lESSONS AND HORSEMANSHIP
Terry Nichols is the horse instructor at the farm. She has years of experience in different areas that have lead her to the style of instruction that she is now passionate about teaching.
To develop positive working relationships with our horse there are many foundational elements that we need to develop in our personal and technical skills. Physically we learn how to communicate well with our body language so the horse understands clearly what we are asking of them. Gaining a deeper understanding of our physical and mental state are very important. Horses have a sensitive flight instinct so it is important that we are aware of where we hold tension, how we breath, how fast we move, and how we are feeling. Horses are also looking to us for leadership. For the horse's best performance, their leader is able guide them clearly and respectfully. The leader is able to be assertive without emotion and is aware of the effect of their communication on the horse. It is up to the leader to problemsolve what the horse's needs are in the moment and to learn to make adjustments for their horse partner. When the horse's needs are met they are calm, attentive and motivated. This also creates a positive and safe environment for this work with our horses.
With these pieces we can accomplish some incredible technical riding and gain our horse's trust, respect, and willingness. With these things in place our horsemanship will be very rewarding for us and for our horses.
Types of Lessons Available
- Special Event Horseback Riding Packages - Horseback riding for family event or child's birthday party
- Mountain Trail Lesson - Create clearer communication and trust with your own horse to help you both have greater ability and confidence with obstacles and in the sport of Mountain Trail.
- Children's Lesson - The goal will be riding the horse, but this privilege is earned with caring for the horse emotionally and physically. Children will learn safety around horses and how to act respectfully towards animals. I want to increase confidence, independence and self awareness during our lessons. I want children to learn to be assertive in a non-emotional way and to be aware of their bodies and breathing and being in the present moment as much as possible during our lesson time. Yes, we will learn technical riding, but I find this comes much easier when these other pieces become stronger. My goal is that my students can take the skills learned from self-awareness, leadership, assertiveness and respect and transfer them to their lives outside of the farm.
- Adult Lessons - There are a variety of learning opportunities for adults that want to work more with horses
- Equine Assisted Mindfulness - Interacting with horses on the ground and in the saddle to create greater awareness of our physical and mental wellbeing. Horses will take us a journey of self-discovery and then will facilitate the process for gaining tools to live in a more mindful manner.
- Couples - Lessons for couples will be tailored for their needs, but usually include a combination of mindfulness, groundwork, arena riding and trail riding.
- Family - One or both parents with their child or children for a group horsemanship and riding lesson. Will include a combination of mindfulness, leadership and relationship coaching. caring for horses physically and mentally, teamwork, arena riding and trail riding depending on abilities.
- Horse Training - Bring your horse and I will help to bring greater communication and trust to the relationship. Whether you are working on some issues, wanting more tools or are starting a new horse, I will be happy to teach you some things that will help you in this journey. I don't train horses without the owners being actively involved. It is my experience that it works out best for the horse if the owner is also learning the skills and awareness needed to further the horse's training.
To book a lesson please look at our Calendar of Events. I will list the days and times that I have available. Please contact me by email to let me know which lesson time you would like to reserve. If it is time sensitive, then please text me.
If you have any questions or special requirements, please contact Terry. Cell - 250-991-2463